The Vietnam War
Robert F Kennedy, President Kennedy’s younger brother, was running for President in 1968. His run for President was in part dominated by the war in Vietnam that had become increasingly costly in terms of lives and treasure. In this excerpt Kennedy explains why he believes the US is losing the war in Vietnam. Answer the following questions using this primary source document.
Primary Source Document Questions:
- What is the main idea contained within this document?
- What is going on in the country/world when this document was written?
- Is this document a reliable source? Why or why not? (Is there bias?)
- Who said this? When did they say it?
- What are 2 facts that you have learned in class or on your own that you can connect to this document?
- What parallels can be drawn between Kennedy’s description of the American response in the Vietnam War and America’s actions within the Cold War? How are they similar? How are they different?