Examine the Map above and answer the questions that follow. Remember to look with an objective eye, put yourself in the shoes of the Americans, Soviets and non-aligned nations.
Secondary Source Document Questions:
- What is does this map show?
- What is going on in the world when these alliance systems were active?
- What are 2 facts that you have learned in class or on your own that you can connect to this document?
- How can this document support the US policy of Containment?
- How can this document support the USSR’s belief in a “buffer zone” of friendly nations between it and potential enemies?
- How does this primary source contribute to our understanding of the time frame and/or history?
- Look at the cartoon below. How does this relate to American and Soviet perceptions in the map above?